Monday, February 20, 2012

Author Interview: M.M. Rumberg

Our interview guest today is M.M. Rumberg, author of Codename: Snake and Sting of the Geisha. Mr. Rumberg will also appear this week on the A Cup of Coffee and a Good Book BlogTalkRadio show. Listen live Wednesday, February 22, at 3:30 Pacific Time or an time after the show at http://www.blogtalkradio.com/jennifer-walker/2012/02/22/a-cup-of-coffee-and-a-good-book.

Author Interview with M.M. Rumberg

Jennifer: Where can we find out more about you and buy your book?



M.M. Rumberg: I have two websites: mmrumberg.com and mortrumberg.com. You can go to these sites and read the first chapter of each book and contact me through the sites. My bio is also posted. My books are available on paper and as an ebook; at Amazon.com; SimplieIndie.com; Smashwords; Xlibris.com; and Lulu.com. They can also be ordered through any bookseller.


Jennifer: Tell us about your book.


M.M. Rumberg: CodeName: Snake is a military thriller. It's about a Jewish assassin operating in Berlin during WWII. A boy's family is arrested and sent to a camp and killed. The boy escapes via the underground to England, is trained by the SAS (at that time, the greatest fighting group in the world) to be an assassin and sent back to Berlin. His mission: to kill Nazi officers.

Along the way he meets up with the man who sent his family to their death.

There is a final confrontation, but it¹s not one you expect.


Jennifer: What do you find most rewarding in writing a book?


M.M. Rumberg: To have readers contact me and tell me how much they enjoyed (or didn't enjoy) the story. CodeName: Snake won a national writing award. When the contest administrator called to congratulate me, it was 8 PM here in Sacramento and she was located in NY where it was 11 PM. I commented on her long working hours and then she said the most wonderful thing: ³I was going to call you earlier, but I started to read your novel and couldn¹t put it down.² Now that¹s what a writer wants to hear about his work. Of course, I immediately proposed, butÅ 


Jennifer: Tell us about your previous work.


M.M. Rumberg: I have numerous management articles published, but the high-octane thriller novels were just bursting to get out, so I concentrated on them and it¹s been a most satisfying and rewarding decision. My writing has become a passion and if I miss a day of writing I feel frustrated and need to make up for it. I also love to write short stories and several of them have received national recognition.


Jennifer: What other projects do you have coming up?


M.M. Rumberg: My second novel: Sting of the Geisha, another high-octane thriller, was recently published. It's about a beautiful and erotic female serial killer who trained as a Geisha in Japan, and is being pursued by the FBI and local detectives. As with all my stories, the ending has a slight twist. It doesn¹t end exactly as you¹d expect.


Jennifer: Do you work with a writing group or mentor? Why or why not? If you do, what do you get out of it?


M.M. Rumberg: I'm a member of the Suburban Sacramento Writers Club and the Sacramento Writers Group. I also work with several critique groups. It¹s great for networking and being with these talented people helps me craft my stories. I treasure the friendships that develop. These people have been extraordinarily helpful and I recommend that all writers join a club and critique group.


Jennifer: What is your favorite genre to read? To write?


M.M. Rumberg: I love to read and write the high adventure novels and thrillers. I want every story I write to be a page-turner. I feel that if the reader finds it easy to put the book down, I haven¹t done my job as a storyteller. I want my stories to grab you and never let go, and when you finish the story I want the reader to say "WOW! That was good!"

I also think it¹s important to read stories and identify their flaws as well as their beautifully crafted scenes. I learn from both.


Jennifer: Who is your favorite author of all time, and why?

M.M. Rumberg: There are two that stand out: Leon Uris and James Patterson. Both are extraordinary craftsmen. They do excellent research and are absolutely great storytellers. It¹s my writing dream to be in their class.

No comments:

Post a Comment