Thursday, February 9, 2012

Author Interview: Amber Garza

Our interview today features Amber Garza, author of PROWL.


Jennifer Walker: Where can we find out more about you and buy your book?


Amber Garza: My blog address is: http://ambergarza.wordpress.com/

You can purchase my book at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Prowl-1-Amber-Garza/dp/1467982172/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328655930&sr=8-1

Or at my estore: https://www.createspace.com/3731530

Or Barnes and Noble online: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/prowl-amber-garza/1108358731?ean=9781467982177&itm=1&usri=amber+garza

Or if you live in the Sacramento area you can pick up a copy of the book at The Cove bookstore in Lakeside Church. In the Vacaville area it is sold in the Mission Church's bookstore.


Jennifer Walker: Tell us about your book.


Amber Garza: It’s a young adult thriller about a seventeen-year-old girl named Mackenzie Smith who lives in Washington with her mom. When she is sent to her grandma’s house in Folsom, California, for the summer she is fully prepared for the longest, most boring three months of her life. But then she meets Wesley. He tells her exactly what she wants to hear and has information about her past no one else knows. It’s almost like he can read her mind.

Only Wesley isn’t who he seems.

By the time Mackenzie discovers his true identity it may be too late. She’s in too deep and he won’t let her go. Now Mackenzie must call on the strongest power of all in order to save her life.

Jennifer Walker: What other projects do you have coming up?


Amber Garza: I’m currently working on the sequel to PROWL called ENTICE. It’s scheduled to be released by Summer 2012.


Jennifer Walker: Do you write full time? If so, tell us how you manage it. If not, what is your day job?


Amber Garza: No, I have worked at Lakeside Church in Folsom, California, for the past four years.


Jennifer Walker: What is your writing process like--do you outline first or just start writing, etc.?


Amber Garza: I usually start with a character I want to write about it and some sort of plot idea. I write the first couple of chapters and then sit down to sketch out an outline. After another couple of chapters my characters usually throw a few surprises in the mix, and I have to go back and rewrite the outline again.

For me the outline is more of a map to guide me to the end, but I know I will take many detours before I get there.


Jennifer Walker: Tell us a little about your non-writing life. Family? Pets? Hobbies?


Amber Garza: I have a wonderful husband named Andrew and two kids – Eli, who is 12, and Kayleen, who is nine. They keep me pretty busy with sports and extracurricular activities. Outside of writing, my other hobby is singing which I do on a regular basis at Lakeside Church. We don’t have any pets because between working, writing, singing and all the kids activities I have no time to take care of one.


Jennifer Walker: Is your famly supportive of your writing?


Amber Garza: Very. I have been serious about my writing since 2006 and over the years my husband often takes the kids out so I can have time alone to write. He also helps pay for conferences and classes I attend to hone my craft. When I participated in the 3-Day-Novel contest last year, my kids kept a running tally of what page I was on all weekend on a white board on the fridge. They left me alone for three whole days to work out my novel and celebrated with me at the end of it.

One of the most memorable moments for me was right after PROWL came out, when my son read the book and told me he was proud of me.


Jennifer Walker: When and why did you decide to become a writer?


Amber Garza: I’ve loved the written word since I was a little girl and used to make books out of paper and staples. My imagination has always worked overtime, creating people and worlds in my mind. Recently, I found a paper I wrote in second grade stating that I wanted to be a famous author when I grew up. I honestly can’t remember a time when I didn’t love to read and write.


Jennifer Walker: What is your favorite genre to read? To write?


Amber Garza: I love thrillers and suspense – anything that gets my pulse racing. My favorite books are ones I can’t put down until I turn the very last page.


Jennifer Walker: Who is your favorite author of all time, and why?


Amber Garza: Alice Hoffman. I think her writing is so haunting and enchanting. The way she strings words together is absolutely breathtaking. My favorite book by her is "Blue Diary."

Thanks to Amber for stopping by!

1 comment: