Saturday, May 14, 2011

Book Review: 33 Days, by Bill See

33 Days: Touring In A Van. Sleeping On Floors. Chasing A Dream., by Bill See

Format: Paperback and Kindle

Publisher: Bill See
Pages: 276
Rating (1 to 5 *): *****







Book Review: 33 Days, by Bill See


In July of 1987, five young men set out on an adventure: their first tour as the rock band Divine Weeks. A Los Angeles band that was starting to build momentum--a video scheduled to appear on MTV's 120 Minutes, their first record in stores, and a following of loyal fans--Bill, Dave, George, Raj, and their road manager Ian set out on an adventure. It was an adventure that would not only spread their music across much of the western part of the United States and parts of Canada, but would bring them together in ways they never expected. Once loaded down with baggage from their families and other influences, the boys learn to be truly on their own for the first time. They rely on each other for support and the kindness of strangers for a floor to sleep on and a meal.


33 Days is your classic coming of age story, but it is so much more than that. It's about putting your life on the line for a dream, making things happen for yourself, making sacrifices for your art, and about leaving behind all the reasons why you shouldn't do what you love and try to make it. It's also about friendship and the pure joy of being young, with the whole world in front of you.

In listening to Divine Weeks's music on the http://www.33daysthebook.com/ website, it's easy to see why Bill See is such a good author. His music is heartfelt and passionate, just like his writing. Perhaps the book struck a particular chord in me (pardon the pun) because I'm an independently published author and I have to do a lot of my own promotion, just like Divine Weeks did, but there was something about the poignancy of this book that really left an impression on me. I walked away from it feeling a little sad, not only because it was over, but for the days of youth that are long past...for the band as well as myself. It made me look at my own life and how I've chased my own dreams. It makes me proud that I've done what I have, but made me question whether I have done enough.

After reading 33 Days, I felt so connected to the author and the band that I wanted to read more. I reread the epilogues, the dedication, everything. I went to the website and listened to their songs, watched videos on youtube, and looked the book up on facebook. I sound like a silly groupie reading that, but it's rare that I take such an interest in a book that I thirst to know more, but author Bill See pulled me in and mercilessly held me captive until the very last word.

Watch this blog for an interview with Bill See, author of 33 Days, and tune in to the A Cup of Coffee and a Good Book BlogTalkRadio show on July 27th at 3:30PT for a discussion of how Bill took what he learned promoting his band and applied it to marketing his book.

Disclosure: The author of this book sent the reviewer a free copy for the purposes of this review.

No comments:

Post a Comment