Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Book Review: Be Happy, Healthy, Prosperous, by Angela Burr-Madsen

Book Review: Be Happy, Healthy, Prosperous, by Angela Burr-Madsen


Everyone has the ability and natural right to be happy, healthy, and prosperous, at least according to Angela Burr-Madsen and others who proclaim the benefits of prosperity consciousness. This is not an area I've studied extensively, although I've tried to start incorporating some of the concepts into my life. In this book, Madsen also introduces her line of flower essences from The Burren, one of the Earth's energy vortexes.

Be Happy, Healthy, Prosperous is sort of a mish-mash of secrets to better living through spirituality and naturopathy, a primer on some of the basic concepts of Eastern medicine (chakras, etc), and instructions on how to use the various flower essences that come from The Burren. Madsen includes case studies from patients in her practice who were experiencing various life problems that she solved through her methods. At the end, she gives a quick course on kinesiology and how to use it to diagnose which chakras are troubled so you know which flower essences you need. I have to say that I had difficulty following this part, and I don't know that I could really do it after reading the instructions.

This book was the first I've heard of The Burren and of anyone using flower essences in healing, but I am a child of Western medicine. I found it very interesting, and although I don't know that I'm sold on flower essences just from reading it, it was intriguing enough that I'd be willing to give them a try. Some of the concepts she talks about as far as being happy through forgiveness and love are definitely keepers. For example, she discusses the fact that forgiveness is an important part of the healing process. You don't forgive someone for their transgressions just for their sake, but for yours, so it doesn't eat away at you anymore. Forgiveness doesn't mean that you've condoned the behavior that offended you, it just means that you've made your peace with it. It's a pretty powerful concept.

The book is nicely written and beautifully designed, with many stunning pictures throughout of flowers from The Burren, taken by photographer Leueen Jennifer Jenkins-Hill. It is laid out in such a way that it is easy to use as a reference when you need to look up the appropriate essences for your problem.

No comments:

Post a Comment