Monday, October 12, 2009

Author Interview: Jane Doiron

Today I had the opportunity to learn a little more about Jane Doiron, author of Make-ahead Meals for Busy Moms. Be sure to read my review of the book!

Jennifer Walker: Tell us about your other writing projects, past present and future. Are you interested in writing anything besides cookbooks?

Jane Doiron:
Make-Ahead Meals for Busy Moms is my first cookbook. I am currently testing recipes for a second "Make-Ahead" cookbook. At the moment, I'm not interested in writing other types of books.


Jennifer Walker: What inspired you to write Make-ahead Meals?

Jane Doiron:
As a second grade teacher, I feel exhausted when I get home from work and it's hard to find the energy or time to whip up a great dinner in a small amount of time. So I took my family's favorite recipes and turned them into make-ahead meals to make my life a little easier. I know that there are a lot of Moms that feel the same way at dinner time, so I thought this book would be a great resource for them.


Jennifer Walker: Where did the recipes come from for this book?

Jane Doiron:
I've been cooking for my family for over 20 years, so I have accumulated quite a few recipes. Some of the recipes in my cookbook have come from family and friends, and I have created some on my own.


Jennifer Walker: What is the testing process like for the recipes in your book?

Jane Doiron:
If I'm testing desserts, I share them with my coworkers, family, or friends and get their opinions on the recipe. When I test out new recipes at home with my family, I usually include the recipe in the book if all four of us like the recipe.


Jennifer Walker: Do you often employ your book's suggestions for advance preparation?

Jane Doiron:
Yes, I always prepare in advance if possible.


Jennifer Walker: How did you get your book published? How has the publishing process been for you?

Jane Doiron:
I searched on line for self-publishing companies because I felt that it was the only way my book could be published. I started writing my manuscript in January 2008. I submitted my manuscript to the publisher in April 2009. It was published in August 2009. The publishing process was very stressful and time consuming as there were many rounds of editing. When you self-publish, you are responsible to catch any format, font, or grammatical errors yourself.


Jennifer Walker: Is cooking a passion for you? How long has it been so?

Jane Doiron:
I have always loved cooking and entertaining. I'm a cookbook collector and cooking magazine junkie! I started cooking as a teenager. I have taken a few cooking classes over the years such as cake decorating, bread making, and Italian cooking.


Jennifer Walker: Tell us about your family. Do they like to cook? Do they support your writing?

Jane Doiron:
My husband and I have 2 boys ages 20 and 15. They're not very interested in cooking, but they have been very supportive in trying new recipes. I think they're more adventurous than some kids their age when it comes to trying new foods, as they have been exposed to my Italian, Mexican, Thai, and Chinese dishes over the years.


Jennifer Walker: What is your favorite type of cuisine?

Jane Doiron:
I LOVE anything Italian!


Jennifer Walker: What is your favorite type of book to read?

Jane Doiron:
I used to read a lot of historical romance books. Now, if I have any spare time, I like to read cooking magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment